Our student Sustainability Leaders have begun auditing our school for existing energy saving strategies and devices. We are currently utilising the following energy saving tools:
- energy saving florescent lights in our classrooms
- automatic temperature control systems in most working areas
- allowing air flow across common areas on warm days to keep fans turned off
- timers set on classroom TVs to automatically switch off after a short period of time
- timers on classroom and security lighting
We have in addition, gathered data on the distances our school community drive to school and the amount of fuel used as a result. We are currently working towards implementing strategies to try and reduce this amount by encouraging carpooling and walking to school initiatives.
We are developing a policy to further reduce the amount of electricity used at our school through a “switching off” regime throughout the school day including break times when rooms are vacant and a “switching off” regime for school holidays in order to reduce the amount of energy used when items are powered down.